For those of you who flumked history in the 2nd grade, I am officially making it my duty to inform you that Americans are pretty much the only ones who celebrate Thanksgiving. I say pretty much, because Canadians apparently have a Thanksgiving all their own in October. I know, I know, the rest of the world is really missing out, but I guess it just doesn't make sense without the whole Indian-colonist history to back it up...Anywho, celebrating a non-existant holiday in a foreign country can be a challenge. It probably wouldn't have been too hard in the international hub of Shanghai, but since Michael is working in Shenzhen this week, I decided to fly down and keep him company for this very important national celebration of gustatory overindulgence.
After many long minutes of google-searching, we happened upon a small handful of celebratory options. We setteled on what seemed like a relative splurge: Thanksgiving buffet at the Ritz Carlton!
We dreamed of succulent turkey, creamy mashed potatoes, home-made gravy, green bean casserole, fresh baked rolls, cranberry salad, and pumpkin and pecan pies...
Boy were we disappointed...
Boy were we disappointed...
The Thanksgiving portion of the expansive buffet included exactly 5 American dishes: turkey, green beans, mashed potatoes that were oddly lumpy AND watery, pepper gravy with peppercorns and pepper, stuffing (with all the parts- down in Shenzhen, that can take on a whole new meaning), and some other variety of mashed vegetable (sweet potatoes?) which had an odd citrus flavor.
No such luck.
We only wish we could also share this time with our friends and family in the States. We're hoping that Turkey Day brings everyone much happiness and reason for thanksgiving!
Guys-
ReplyDeleteWe sure missed you at your house this morning (that seems really weird!) but we did have a great time! We can't wait until you're here to celebrate Christmas with us! (and Sophie's birthday)
Love you and Happy Thanksgiving!
Ben, Em, Ellie & Sophie
We had a great breakfast at your house, but it wasn't the same without you. Ma decided not to go out for dinner with us, so we chucked it and went to the Moolah to see Harry Potter.
ReplyDeleteSo, not turkey dinner for us either. I'm making one for christmas here in Bham.