Thursday, January 20, 2011

Winter Wonderland

When Bella and I went out for her potty break this morning, we were shocked to find more snow! Yesterday, all of the snow from the previous day had melted, and we were left with a muddy, yucky mess. This is so rare for Shanghai!

So far, today's snow is over 4 inches--- and it's still snowing

Bella and I are both wondering: how much more are we gonna get?

The ayis who work at our apartment compound are probably wondering the same thing. It looks like they are the ones shouldered with the responsibility for clearing the snow.

I feel really bad for them. Since this type of snow accumulation is so rare in Shanghai, they are very poorly equipped to deal with the situation.


The ayis are clearing the snow with large squeegies and home-made brooms! While this may seem funny, the reality of the situation is that only a few of these women have winter coats and none of them have gloves. A few of them have made make-shift winter garments (like the woman above in the picture).
Makes me realize how fortunate I am. I have to run errands today, and I think I will stop by one of the markets to purchase as many pairs of gloves as I can find.



For those who are interested, here is a really boring (but cute, of course) video of Bella in the snow:

I think shes getting slightly annoyed by all this cold wet stuff!

1 comment:

  1. We just got a TON of snow in STL.....on the other side of the world! Looks like fun for Bella dog. I let aug run around in the front yard for a minute and he was in HEAVEN! You're so sweet to get gloves for them! What a nice gesture. You're so thoughtful meg. Miss you guys! let's talk soon!

    ReplyDelete