Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Beng Mealea Temple- Our Favorite

Our first day in Cambodia we decided to travel about 40 km away from the most popular Angkor temples to see Beng Mealea, a more secluded and completely unrestored temple complex. This was the best decision we made the entire trip.



The temple entrance. Looks a bit different than Angkor Wat, huh?


Yeah, quite a bit different than Angkor Wat!


After wandering around and taking photos for a while, we ran into a security guard.


At first we thought we were in trouble for climbing on top of the temple ruins, but it turns out the guard wanted to give us a tour.


He guided us around, through, over, and under the Beng Mealea temple ruins for over 2 hours, pointing out all of the good photo spots. Every time we came to a new crumbling tower he pointed at me and said "climb up?".


I said yes everytime, but a thought that surely at some point he would just laugh and tell me it wasn't safe. Never happened.


I climbed every pile of rocks in this place, and when Michael wasn't too busy snapping photos, he climbed as well.


It was AMAZING.



Climb up? Why not!


Climb up? Hellz yeah!

Climb up?
But of course!

A couple thay climbs together...
sweats together!

What goes up, must come down!

Can you see us?

The next time we might have the opportunity to climb on centuries old temples,
we'll try not to wear stone-colored clothing!


Our "guide" was such a gentleman.

He helped me maneuver the trickiest parts of the "tour".


Michael was on his own, however!



The master at work!




Another great view!



Why not?




Yes... again.

How many times have you sat in a rope swing in the middle of temple ruins in Cambodia?

I rest my case.



Where are we??

The tour was not complete without a trip under the temple!


Thanks for all of the great photos, Michael!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have been there, but then I would have wanted to climb those rock, then my old knee would have reminded me how I should NOT have climbed those rocks. But fun is still so hard to avoid. You both look like your having fun!

    ReplyDelete