Tuesday, April 13, 2010

She BIT me!!!

No, Bella did not nibble my face...

It was Missy the Mischievous Mosquito!

Our room was so hot last night (errant floor heating) that we had to open the windows to let in some cool air. When I woke up in the morning, this is what I found:

You can't see them all, but I have at least 10 bites on my face.

It may surprise some of you that Michael did not get a single bite! I am a MOSQUITO MAGNET!!!! (Believe me, I am the best camping partner ever: as long as I am around you are guaranteed to get 80-100% less bug bites!)

After performing some slightly scientific internet research, I believe my unfortunate mosquito magnetism can be blamed on my type O blood. However, I welcome any alternative explanations from more knowledgable followers!




To make matters worse, I usually respond to these bites with an immune reaction strong enough to cure the plague! Not only do they swell and turn bright red, but after about a week they turn into hideous hemorrhagic welts that stick around (but don't itch, thank God) for another couple of weeks. (Michael is sooooo excited; he just can't wait to be seen in public with me for the next month or so!)


Some of you may still be wondering how I know the mosquito was a "she"...

Turns out, only female mosquitos bite people. All mosquitoes live on the sugar found in plant nectar, not on blood. But there is a reason females seek blood. Proteins in the blood are necessary to produce fertile eggs. Since males cannot produce eggs they have no need for blood. Females require a new blood 'meal' for every nest they lay, and produce about 250 eggs per meal. And now you know...

2 comments:

  1. Megan, that looks horrible.
    Thanks for the info on the mosquitos. I don't get bit much, which must mean I am NOT contributing to the reproduction of more mosquitos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally with you. I get bit all the freakin' time! Although, I don't have O blood....so that theory may be out the door. Wonder what would happen if the two of us were in a room together with Missy....hmmm

    ReplyDelete