Saturday, October 9, 2010

My afternoon with the endodontist

Pre-op...

Me: Whats that numbing medicine you used? Novocaine?
Doc: No, its actually called articaine, but it also contains epinephrine.
Me: It's making my whole body feel kind of funny.
Doc: Yeah, it can do that if it gets into your blood stream. Don't worry, it will only last for 4 or 5 minutes.
Me: Actually, it feels pretty good. I like it.
Doc: Well... I once had a patient who was a former drug addict tell me the same thing.
Me: (Note to self: don't do drugs, you WILL get addicted... Wait, is this doc telling me that he thinks I'm a druggie??!?!)

Post-op...

Me: Thanks so much for sqeezing me in before my vacation. I really appreciate it.
Doc: Sure, no problem, it wouldn't have been a very fun vacation with that tooth.
Me: So, will I have any more pain?
Doc: I'd expect to have a couple more days of similar pain, maybe even a little worse, just while the nerve settles down.
Me: OK. What type of pain medicine will I be on? My husband took a few vicodin after his root canal.
Doc: No need for vicodin. Just take ibuprofen and acetaminophen at the same time. When it comes to pain, that's even better than morphine.
Me: Really? OK. (Holy crap! This guy really does think I'm a druggie; he won't give me vicodin and he thinks I'm a morphine junkie, too!)

2 comments: