OK, so we saw a lot of cool creatures in Borneo. Our first stop was the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Center. The rehabilitation has four stages with the ultimate goal of rereleasing these magnificent animals back into the wild. At the fourth stage, orangs are in the wild, but feedings continue twice a day in case the orangs cannot find their own food. Here we were lucky enough to see two mother Orangs with babies in tow and one curious little juvenile!

This juvenile orang was less than 2 meters from Michael!
He was walking on the handrail of the boardwalk to which we humans were restricted. Unfortunately Jill and I had stepped back from the handrail to let some kids get a better look just before this guy hopped on to check out the "silly humans". Darn!
Prior to the boardwalk... in the bushes.
Mommy and baby.
So, after the rehabilitation center, we spent two days in the jungle along the Kinabatangan River. Most of the wild animals we saw were along this river.
There were many opportunities to venture out to see them.
There were many opportunities to venture out to see them.
Here we actually did see wild orangs (big males), but even if I showed you the pictures you'd think I was pulling your leg. They were much further away, and Michael's camera just didn't have the capabilities to produce any high quality images.
However, Michael did manage to capture these other cool animals in the wild...
I was elated! We were 20 feet away in a small boat!
This one was about 3 meters long, but they can get up to 7 meters!
This one was about 3 meters long, but they can get up to 7 meters!
This guy was about 2 meters long, and, yes, that really is the color of his tongue!
Macaque monkeys.
Macaque monkeys.The dominant males have very large noses.
This is how they attract females.
In fact, the bigger the nose, the bigger the..................harem.
In fact, the bigger the nose, the bigger the..................harem.
Come on, what did you think?
We weren't as lucky spotting animals here. Except macaques and probiscus monkeys.
Michael and I brought school supplies and such for the kids.
Michael= 1
Megan= 2
Jill= 3
Supposedly, we can email the jungle tour company
every now and again and get updates on our trees.
The trees are grown by local villagers and help support their economy.
We had lunch and played games with the kiddos.
(OK, OK, I played games with the kiddos...)
(OK, OK, I played games with the kiddos...)
They were adorable!







GREAT blog! the photos are fabulous. I would love one on our bathroom gallery wall. You two look so happy and healthy. That thrills my heart. Love Mom
ReplyDeleteThank you both for the womderful pictures. The scenery was beautiful a d the animals I have only seen at the zoo. The Probiscus monkey was really a hoot. I am so glad you are getting to see this "other world' of ours. YOU do a super job if letting us know how your lives are now. I love you both for keeping in touch. All my love'Ma.
ReplyDeleteIn Pakistan they call those skirts lunghis. What amazing freedom they provide, unless you regress to wearing shorts underneath. Yes, the rumors have reached even to the USA. When I returned from Pakistan, I wore them around the house a lot.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had a great trip. Love, Corb