Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Had a Blast in Bangkok!!! (Part One)

Here it is (in part). Our three days in Bangkok went super fast, but they were packed full of sightseeing galore!

I have procrastinated on this post because there is so much to share about our vacation. After multiple attempts at making some semblence of order out of our 1000+ photos, I've decided to break our vacation into smaller more manageable portions. (Don't worry, I will NOT be posting all 1000+ photos. Michael is going to figure out a way for you all to be able to view the best ones online, outside of blogspot.) By the way, Michael worked REALLY hard to get a few of the photos in this post... the ones where the sun is reflected off of the mosaics... that didn't just happen by chance: Michael stood in the same position for several minutes taking the same photo over and over. What a devoted artist!


On with the blogging...
























Probably the most visually impressive site we toured in Bangkok was the Royal Grand Palace (the former royal residence and several distinguished "halls" full of relics which were previously devoted to ceremonial purposes). It includes more than a square mile of lavishly decorated land, palaces, and temples. (translation: lots of gold and shiny stuff...)

One of the main attractions at the Royal Grand Palace is Wat Phra Kaeo, or the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, but you won't see any pictures of this marvel because photography was strictly forbidden in the Buddha's presence. (I actually got in trouble with a guard for sitting down in the temple with my feet pointing in the direction of the Buddha... whoopsies!)

(Useless tidbit #1: Interestingly, the Emerald Buddha is made of jade, not emerald!)













Check out my really cool "borrowed" clothes! With the heat index, it was over 100 degress outside, and I had to throw on an extra layer of clothes to cover my shoulders, knees, and ankles. At least they were trendy and stylish though, huh?


3 comments:

  1. Michael, awesome photography! Megan, awesome modeling! You have such fashion sense :) Seriously, these pictures are amazing...I can't wait to see more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, the patience paid off! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Great photography. I thought the clothes might have something to do with temple fashion rules like the Vatican. Glad to know they weren't your new Shanghai style. LOVE YOU BOTH!

    ReplyDelete