Thursday, February 25, 2010

Had a Blast in Bangkok!!! (Part Three)

So, I suppose I should tell you about the taxis in Bangkok... They are so corrupt!! Basically, the only way to get a fair "metered" price was to start our journey at the hotel. Otherwise, taxi driver's charged whatever they wanted for cab fare. For example, Michael and I went to a night market one evening, and when we were ready to return to the hotel, taxi drivers would not use the meter and charged 5 times what it had cost to get to the market from the hotel!



A (slightly) cheaper, but much more "adventurous" option was to take a tuk-tuk. (Ha, no meters in these babies!) They are really small, with just three wheels and only a windshield, and they weave around the other traffic just like the scooters.


Tuk tuks are a widely used form of urban transport in Bangkok and other Thai cities, and some people refer to them as auto rickshaws. Whatever you call 'em, they might be efficient forms of transport, but they sure are scary!


Our first Tuk Tuk experience. It was actually kind of fun once you got used to the smell of exhaust, the cramped interior, and the feeling of "hmmmm, if we crash, I'm a goner!"




No comments:

Post a Comment