
Over the past month, Michael and I have witnessed our new neighbors preparing for the holiday in a variety of ways. To welcome the Chinese New Year, the windows and doors of most of Shanghai have been decorated with red and gold ornaments.

These decorations are sold at almost every store we've visited, regardless of the retail specialty.

Fire crackers and fireworks also play an important role in this holiday. As the lunar New Year approaches, we have been hearing more and more firecrackers in the evenings. (Lately, in fact, it has almost been possible to imagine that these loud explosions are actually soothing thunderstorms sent to lull me to sleep.)
For the most part, Michael and I have only been observers of these cultural traditions. But, as "employers" for our driver, Gu, we are expected to participate in an ancient custom of the Lunar New Year known as "Hong Bao". Hong Bao involves giving small red envelops filled with "lucky money" to children and employees. The red color is considered to bring good fortune, and the money inside the envelop is used by the recipient to buy holiday treats. Apart from this traditional money, other gifts can also be given for the New Year. However, we have been educated that Chinese people usually prefer practical and useful gifts over fancier items. So, in the gift basket I prepared for Gu, I included rice, soy sauce, nuts (items which were recommended by Michael's expat colleagues), and candies (not tradition or practical, but I wanted the gift to have a little bit of my personal touch!). To make the gift more festive, I also added a common Chinese New Year decoration: a pair of red and gold fish meant to symbolize prosperity for the New Year.

Experienceing this native tradition first hand has certainly been exciting for us. Unfortunately, however, we will not be in China for the main event since we are going to use this long holiday for our first big trip... Thailand... stay tuned for details.
For all of you useless knowledge junkies out there, I have compiled a short list of Chinese New Year Fun Facts:
- There are three ways to name a Chinese year:
- By the animal (like a mascot): 2010 is the year of the tiger. There are 12 animals, so by this system, year names are repeated every 12 years...
- By the formal name: 2010 is the year of Geng Yin. In this system, the years are counted in 60 year cycles (5 cycles of 12 animals), and the formal name repeats in a 60 year cycle. In this system, the 60 year cycle is analogous to a "century" in the international calendar system...
- By the number: 2010 is year 4707 in the Chinese Calendar.
- Common Chinese New Year's activities include cleaning the house from top to bottom, purchasing and wearing new clothing, paying off debts, painting doors, and getting a haircut.
- In ancient China, bamboo stems filled with gunpowder were burnt to create small explosions in the belief that the loud sound would drive away evil spirits. The burning of firecrackers in modern-day China maintains this ancient custom.
- Chinese people age together: according to tradtion, on the 7th day of the new Year, all people in China become a year older.
- Michael was born in the Year of the Monkey, and I was born in the Year of the Rooster. Ni ne? (and you?) http://www.chinese.new-year.co.uk/calendar.html

According to the list I am a snake.....and yet I don't have my Law degree.... Hmmmm
ReplyDeleteI am a dragon.
ReplyDeleteI think I'm a Bear.